Drupal is a great choice for a content management system. This secure flexible system creates attractive, functional websites that can be scaled. However, Drupal does require some coding knowledge, which may be a disadvantage for some users.
If you run a Drupal website, you may be curious about the latest update to the system. Drupal 10 includes several fundamental changes, including administrative and default themes, that make it easier to use, more accessible, and more secure. Upgrading to Drupal 10 requires several steps, including making sure that you can upgrade from your current version and hosting environment, performing a backup, and making sure your themes and modules are compatible. Once this work is complete, you can use Drupal's update mechanism or manually update the codebase.
At Inclind, we work with businesses, nonprofits, member organizations, and other entities to help them design, build, and maintain great websites. Our team of developers and designers stays on top of the latest technology trends and news so that we keep our clients' websites up-to-date. Reach out today to learn more about our services.
What Is Drupal 10?
Drupal is an open-source content management system (CMS) that has existed for over 20 years. In December 2022, Drupal released its latest version: Drupal 10. This update makes Drupal more user-friendly (which was previously why some users chose WordPress over Drupal).
Several new features in Drupal 10 may make it easier to use. This includes:
- Claro administrative theme, which provides a user-friendly interface for administering a website. It also includes more accessibility features to make it easier for people with disabilities to navigate. This theme replaces the Seven administration theme and aligns with the latest default theme (Olivero), providing a consistent look and feel between a website's front and back end.
- Olivero default theme is a sleeker, more accessible, and more user-friendly interface for Drupal websites. It is designed to be clean, lightweight, and fast-loading. It is also designed to meet the highest standards of accessibility.
- Theme starter kit tools offer an easier way to create custom themes for Drupal websites. Customizable templates can be used to create a unique theme, and both templates and tools were designed with accessibility in mind.
- Improved multilingual support introduces language types and contains improved language detection tools. This makes it easier to translate content and manage translation workflows. These features make creating and managing websites in multiple languages easier for companies and organizations.
- Advanced security features, including requiring users to choose more secure passwords and providing better security for third-party modules. This makes it a more straightforward process to identify and address potential vulnerabilities.
- Improved performance and scalability make it easier for companies to create and manage well-performing websites. These new features include improved caching mechanisms, efficient content delivery mechanisms, and improved database performance.
- Better content management to streamline the management and creation of content. These tools make it easier for users to move content, manage media, and preview content changes before publishing.
- Better editing features through CKEditor 5, which makes the process of creating and managing content more intuitive.
These upgrades may make creating and managing a Drupal website easier than ever. This is particularly true if you want your website to offer accessibility, multiple languages, and other features.
Why Should You Upgrade to Drupal 10?
There are many good reasons to upgrade to Drupal 10 if you run your site on Drupal 9 or an earlier version. This upgrade will ultimately result in a more user-friendly, better-looking, more accessible, and more secure website.
As an initial matter, upgrading is an excellent idea to enhance your site's security. Drupal is known for being one of the most secure CMS available due mainly to community members continuously testing the platform. Upgrading to the latest version ensures you use this work to protect your site and its users.
Drupal 10 also features design and layout tools, making it easy to build and modify pages using drag-and-drop. This means that content editors can manage aspects of the website without relying on developers to do the work.
This upgrade also optimizes websites for mobile - which is crucial, given that more than 50% of all web traffic comes from mobile devices. Drupal 10 allows administrators to manage content from their phones or other devices instead of being limited to a desktop administrative panel.
With the Drupal 10 upgrade, you can connect with a more diverse range of users. This includes people whose first or primary language is not English through multilingual capacity and users with disabilities. The new default theme - Olivero - complies with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2 - Level AA (WCAG-2 AA). As a result, it'll be easier than ever to ensure your Drupal site is accessible.
Many third-party site components - like Composer, PHP, and Symfony - will also update with the upgrade to Drupal 10. As a result, site performance and user experience will be enhanced.
Importantly, Drupal 10 is built on Drupal 9, so it wasn't a complete overhaul of the codebase. This means new modules and extensions will become compatible with the latest version much earlier, ideally with fewer issues.
Ultimately, upgrading to Drupal 10 is smart for anyone using the Drupal CMS. It will make your website look more modern and help it function more efficiently with greater security. It will also be easier to manage on the backend. This update will also ensure that your site meets the latest accessibility guidelines to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and that everyone can use it.
How to Upgrade Your Site to Drupal 10
Now that you have decided to upgrade your site to Drupal 10, the next step is actually making the switch. Any upgrade requires careful planning and preparation. Once the update is completed, you must also test the site to ensure it is optimized.
Plan The Upgrade
The first step in the process involves planning your upgrade. Before starting, you should decide what modules and themes you will use, what changes will be made to the site, and how your content will be migrated. Importantly, you must ensure that your hosting environment matches the platform requirements of Drupal 10.
Backup Your Site
Next, you will need to back up your website. This process should include all content, files, and databases. Backing up is critical as it allows you to restore your site if you have any issues during the upgrade process. You should also update to Drupal 9.4x or 9.5x if you aren't already using one of these versions.
Check Modules & Themes For Drupal 10 Compatibility
At this point, you should check any modules or themes (including custom projects) you currently use to ensure they are compatible with Drupal 10. The Upgrade Status module is an easy way to ensure all modules and themes are compatible with the update.
Some modules and themes are deprecated in Drupal 9 and removed from Drupal 10. This includes the Seven administration theme and the Bartik default theme. If you are using one of these themes or any outdated modules, you can either switch to the new themes and modules before the upgrade or install the contributed versions of the extensions.
Upgrade To Drupal 10
You can now upgrade Drupal to version 10 using its built-in update mechanism or manually updating the codebase. Once complete, you must test your site to ensure everything works as it should and that all content and functions have been preserved. You should also check to see that your website is configured correctly and that any modules that affect performance are enabled.
This process may seem straightforward, but it requires careful attention to detail to ensure that your site maintains functionality. If you have any qualms about handling the process independently, contact an experienced website developer - like the team at Inclind - for help. We can assist you with your Drupal site's design, development, and maintenance.
How Inclind Can Help
If you're using Drupal or another CMS, you must stay on top of the most recent updates. While theremay be some benefits to waiting before installing an upgrade, you must understand the pros and cons of doing so. Our website support and maintenance services include advice on upgrading to the latest version of Drupal - and performing the update for you.
Based in Delaware, Inclind offers a full suite of website services, including website design and maintenance. We collaborate with our clients to understand their needs and capabilities so that we can provide the highest level of service. So whether you need a completely redesigned website or need some help with day-to-day maintenance, we are here.
We're available to talk if you'd like to learn more about our web services. You can fill out our online contact form or hit the live chat button to talk to one of our experts about your website.